Saturday 12 August 2023

Diploma Module 1 Chapter 6 second dyeing session

 The goal in this dyeing session was to achieve that dirty kind of yellow of my colour scheme.

I started by mixing a strong mixture of golden yellow and black to use for mixing with the approx 250 ml of soda ash/salt solution.

Here's the yellow resulting fabric with the pure yellow used. Again the photograph doesn't render the true colour. The real colour is more yellow but a bit pale because I diluted it to much. 


I then made a mixture of 5 tablespoons of yellow to 1 tablespoon of black. As expected the resulting fabric was green, I should have known this from the start but it was worth the try


The next mixture was done with equal parts yellow and black. The resulting fabrics turned out to be more of a blueish grey. It was interesting to see that the linen fabrics or with more linen content turned out to look "greyer" than the coton ones.


Just for fun I made a badge of fabric with 3 tablespoons of black and after 20 minutes I added some walnut brown, also Procion but a special mixture by Hilary Beattie. The result is quite nice but  not really fitting into my colour scheme




Conclusion
The goal to dye a dirty mustardy yellow wasn't reached. I have to find another method.

In terms of dyeing grey, it seems to be very difficult even if diluting the black. the greys achieved by mixing brown with a bit of cobalt blue were more successful.
Here eco dyeing might help, I remember having dyed grey fabric with artichokes and they were really grey. 
I will probably try to overdye yellow in the dirty pot.

Fabrics dyed with staghorn, no vinegar or rust added. The sheer silk organza (1st one) took the colour best


Different silks and wools dyed with Saphire blue acid dye




No comments: