Tuesday 8 August 2023

Diploma Chapter 4 Shape and Pattern Study 2

I chose the iron beam as shape to experiment with. I changed the proportions to make it look more interesting. However a bit further in this Chapter I realized that the design was still to square and that a more organic one would open up more possibilities .

For this design exercise I also started by painting the papers I would use. The inspiration for these were my textures, the plates were used to make rubbings with wax crayons or served as inspiration. Using my big Gelli plate enabled me to achieve the textured backgrounds on the papers as well as the worn look of the industrial site. 
One of the techniques used was drawing patterns onto a piece of paper with wax crayons (Pentel) these formed a kind of resist on the plate and were printed with a different paint. 
For another background I used baby powder as a resist . It would be nice if I could reproduce the same on fabric but some of the effects can only be reached by using acrylic paints which leave a (plastic) shine on the fabric.

I tried to copy the papers and keep the originals for a later stage but wasn't happy with the results and they didn't translate the real beauty of the papers. So I used mainly the originals.

When doing the exercises in this Chapter the magic really happened when both the shapes and the backgrounds were done using the painted papers. 

I certainly could have continued to go on designing even more, but as always at some stage you have to decide when to stop and move on. More ideas might pop up in the future.



2

2 Sample 1 pressed onto small gelli plate rolled over with white acrylic pain which caused the 1st layer to smear, then printed


3



3a




4

4



6
Shape slightly changed, still to square



8

Rubbing over sample 5 to reveal the outline, shapes filled with inktense blocks
9





10
Shape placed on coloured background, rectangle cut out and replaced, colours of background changed
void rectangle covered from the back with painted paper
11
11 Shape glued to coloured background divided in 4 with a contrasting narrow strip of paper in a cruciform
This looks more like a wrapped present, but isolates parts of the shapes that could lead to a different design


12





14

Shape with "M" like Minette written over it
This sample would probably look more interesting if the background paper wasn't white

15

Shape placed on contrasting background, pleated lengthwise, shape outline drawn over the resulting shape got filles with stripes. This creates like a distorted shape, a kind of halo or shadow of the main shape




The text to the following picture is the explanation that goes with 16 a.

16a

16a


I then simplified the shape with the  Adobe Capture App on my cell phone before  scanning it into the Silhouette program. The designer edition allows you to rotate it around a specific shape varying the overlapping and the number of shapes used. You can fill the shapes with more or less solid colours but in the following samples I prefered to colour them  myself before gluieing onto a pieced background.









21



Isolating shapes from 20 and 21 using transparent paper

22

Shape arranged in rows, overlapping and welded in Silhouette.
This could result into a lacy stitching, interesting edges

More designs done in the Silhoue program







No comments: