Friday 11 August 2023

Diploma Module 1 Chapter 6 Colouring materials


This is the colour scheme I chose for this Module, it's  not the easiest to work with and rust and turquoise would probably have been the obvious choice, especially for my theme, but I had already chosen these 2 colours for one of my Certificate modules, I decided to challenge myself.



 I first was tempted to use transfer paints for my colouring method, but they are hard to find here and due to taxes it has become to expensive to order in the UK. I have some paints here and will certainly experiment with them because working with synthetics will give me more options further in the module.

My first step was to go through my existing stash to see if I could find fabrics I could overdye. 

Blue

This is more of a primary Cyan blue, but I hoped that I could achieve a similar colour by overdying  fabric my mixing Cobald blue and midnight blue. I failed (although this is not visible on the pictures below, sorry the camera somehow altered the colours)Of course this blue might work, but it's not the blue I was aiming for. I'm conscious that stitching over the fabrics with the "right" blue might create the effect I wanted. But I will probably try to get a Procion blue that will work. 



 Beige

I still a little bit of a Procion colour called "ecru" left which I wanted to use to dye the light beige of my colour scheme


The result was satisfying only that I probably won't be able to reproduce the colour as I don't have any dye left, another option has to be found.

Grey

To get the grey I wanted I did little experiment, I mixed warm brown with a little bit of cobalt blue. The resulting colour is very pleasing, although with a light greenish tint. For both of the three colours I used the plastic bag method, the fabrics used were coton, poplin and lightweight as well as a  bit of printed commercial fabric.

                                                          

The I remembered my eco dying experiments from the previous two years.

These are mainly silks but also some linen and coton. These are the colours that come closest to my colour scheme, only that I probably won't be able to reproduce the same except maybe for the grey which can be dyed in the dirty pot with some rust in it.






No comments: