Wednesday, 7 February 2018

Module 5 - Chapter 4 - A closer look at edges

I took advantage of the "meltable" quality of the fabrics to cut them with the Fabric Master soldering iron or fuse them together to create more relief.

Most of the fabrics of this sample are polyester based. Especially the lightweight ones melt easily.

4a :"fringed
4b: three layers of the same fabric have been "fringed", then fused together with small horizontal slashes
4c: zigzag edge. It would be interesting to see how the stretchy quality of the fabric could be used to move it into curvy shapes fixed by stitching
4d: here the fabric was pleated, then "fixed" by melting the layers together and fuse it onto a synthetic felt

 4e: two layers of different fabrics fused together by melting marks

4f: here the fabric was folded before being melted into fringes


4h: this fabric was frayed before cutting shapes into it

 4i: here the soldering iron was used to mark the coton based fabric

4j: transparent fabric strip gathered with knotted strips
4k: three layers of different fabrics were fused to create dimension

4l: (left upper corner): a little experiment: the fabric strip was folded to form triangles that were then fused with the soldering iron

4m: zigzag strips cut with soldering iron

4n: three layers of fabric cut with scissors

 4o: this non-woven material was pleated before being "cut" to fix the pleats

 4p: frayed, then cut into triangle shapes

4q: the fabric strip was "fringed" and slashed with the soldering iron before being twisted.

 4r: "fringed" with scissors, the twisted
4s: for these last strips, the fabric has been melted by holding it over a candle. This made the edges melt in a very unpredictable and irregular way and made it curl.
It would be interesting to overlay several of these for more texture.

Thursday, 4 January 2018

Module 5-Chapter 3 Texture and Relief in Paper

3a: I tried to reproduce the pine needle pattern of pic 1d by twisting fine tissue paper strips and olverlaying them randomly. As I had problems glueing them down, I use thin paper strips to keep them in place. This created a secondary pattern. This pattern could be achieved by coaching chunky threads (fabric or yarn)

3b: Inspired by the mountainbike tyre marks on forest ground. Twisted paper strips were bent to reproduce the marks in a regular linear pattern. To keep the shapes in place and to give it a different look, tissue paper was glued on top. The contours were outlined with a water-soluble pencil.

3c: not a very successful sample although I think that in fabric it would look muoch better. Inspired by pic 1f I wanted to render the impression of flat pieces of wood attached to a flat surface. I used calque paper for this as I thought it would be better to use a stiffer material. I partly pleated and unpleated the paper to increase the texture. I also tried to fold some squares with tissue paper and tried not to use too much glue.

3d: I tried to take advantage of the stretchy quality of the crêpe paper to reproduce the curved lines on picture 1q. The idea is to try to do the same with fabric cut on the bias.

3e: Here tissue paper is definitely the right choice to reproduce the horizontal lines in sample 1a. For extra texture I added twisted paper strips.

3f: The idea in this sample was to represent the round flat shapes of pic 1i. I first tried out a different technique. Pushing tissue paper through a wire grid to form little pockets, then ironing them flat before pulling them out carefully. so that they wouldn't loose their shape. Unfortunately this didn't work out as the paper tore easily and other paper would be too stiff. However, this is definitely something I will try out with fabric.
Here I cut it cardboard pieces, covered thim with tissue paper before glueing them down and covering the whole with crumpled tissue paper again. The spaces between the shapes could further be "embellished" with additional twisted lines of paper...
Another idea would be to apply Suffolk puffs with their opening sewn to the background

3g: a single fern leaf translated into paper by  using "fringed" triangles

3h: losange shapes were cut out of simple copy paper. The openings were filled with crumpled tissue paper

3i: the paper used here is tissue paper folded into squares and glued down so that they overlap

3j: my own version of the the seed head. This is not an exact representation but I wanted to render the airy impression of it. For this, little triangles of tissue paper were fringed and glued won in a circular movement.

3k: trying to reproduce the lichen on the tree bark was a bit of a challenge because of its fine, rich and irregular texture. So I stitched (without the thread in the needle)  the shapes below onto a double layer of tissue paper, then tore them out and stitched them very closely (2together) on black paper with a free-machine zigzag stitch.

3l: This sample was inspired by the enlarged seed of the fern leaves of pic 1x. The shape somehow reminded me of chinese fortune cookies. Here I used simple copy paper as tissue paper would not have been stiff enough

Working with paper certainly has its limits but gives an idea of what kind of fabric could be used to reproduce the textures. Even more textures could be used in the negative spaces