Monday 14 March 2022

Module 6 - Finished piece - backing and edges

 


It's a bit difficult to see here but the edges were left raw and an additional strip of organza was added from the back. Here the edges were burnt with the soldering iron



The backing was done with leftover pieces of coton from this module  pieced together. It was hand sewn to the piece.

Sleeves were added at the top and at the bottom like I would have done for my quilts. However I had to add a sleeve at the very top because the piece proved to be to floppy to hang properly. I left a space between the two upper sleeves so that the piece can be hung either at the edges by passing a nail through the wood into the wall or through a string attached to the middle of the wood. I probably prefer the first method  as it gives a cleaner finish. Both pieces of wood are quite lightweight and allow the piece to keep some movement so that it doesn't hang too flat. (the wood still has to be cut to size.)

No comments: