Monday 5 August 2024

Stage 6 - Proposal for resolved embroidered item

 

Experiment with copper mesh

In Luxembourg it is difficult to get hold of copper mesh. I still had some which is a bit stiffer than the one I ordered later. Both of the qualities were ordered with Etsy and come from China.















----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always loved these impressive long tubes. If I was talking about people I would say "they stand, proud and strong. It is quite a simple shape that lends itself perfectly for producing a vase for instance, maybe a series in different sizes..







I did a mock up with copper mesh using some of the techniques of this first Module.
Stitching directly onto the copper wasn't so successful so I first embroidered a piece of polyester organza and applied the wavy shapes produced earlier with a simple running stitch.
The organza was then applied onto the copper mesh with handstitch, using a blue perlé coton thread and running stitch. This adds additional contrast to the piece. The organza got then zapped back partly, revealing more of the copper mesh.

I used photocopies for the shapes meandering around the tube. The original shapes were too big and didn't have the right proportions. I probably would have to use more of the colour blue for these as there isn't enough contrast with the colours of the tube. 
I like the way the shapes add dimension to the tube.

Of course they could be positioned in a different way like in the pic below to form a decorative edge


They could possibly be "inserted" through a slot in the tube like shapes being transformed on a conveyor belt.

For the bottom I could use a coiling technique like shown below. This can be easily attached with stitching. Another possibility would be to use a piece of circular cardboard and cover it with fabric.




















No comments: