Wednesday 10 July 2024

Sculptural work

 



Details




All of the three pieces were done with a rope basketry technique. As far as possible the pieces were done on the sewing machine, the shaping happened through the positioning of the piece, holding it for instance more upright. The different elements were sewn together by hand. I started with an idea in mind but then had to go with the flow and let the piece develop for itself. 
 I deliberately chose to not work in color, having discovered my love for black an white in one of the Distant Stitch Modules. I wanted the shapes to speak for themselves but due to the stopping and restarting when replacing the black thread there is some variation in tone.
I think my main influence for doing this work comes from the times when I had pottery classes. This technique remind me of the work on the potter's wheel. The link to the natural world is obvious, the love for harmonious shapes continues to influence me.
It was interesting to hear what people had to say about my work and what they saw in it. 
The material used is a cream coloured 3mm macramé thread and regular black thread.

This is what I do in the evening when I'm tired but still have to do something with my hands.
This is all hand work, also a basketry technique using linen rope and 0,9 mm linen thread





No comments: